September 22, 2017
Our phone lines are back up! We thank you all for your patience; thanks also to Dale Lawrence and Mike Monette for their persistence, support and coordination with multiple companies to get things working again.
Our Cornish Wildcats turned into mountain goats this week as they hiked along the CREA, French’s Ledges or Mt. Cardigan trails, going up hills, through forests and over rocks. The possibility of rain vanished and even the sun shone through from time to time, giving us some great views from up on top. Students identified trees by their leaves; recorded data for speed, height and distance calculations from their climbing; made observations of rock types and evidence of weathering and erosion; wrote reflections in journals; and made some new connections with classmates as we built community. Thanks to all the staff and parents who volunteered and participated in our all-school hike.
Coming up next week:
- Monday, Sept. 25 at 5:30 pm in the Library: SAU100 Celebration, followed by Cornish School Board meeting
- Our grade 5-8 clubs and activities will begin during Supported Studies period.
- The Book Fair will run from September 27 through October 6; students will have an opportunity to preview the books available during their library class time at school.
- iReady testing will be completed this week; makeup assessments will be scheduled early the following week.
Mark your calendars for what’s to come soon:
- Wed. Oct. 4 at 7 pm in the Library: CCPTO Meeting
- Thursday Oct. 5, 6-7:30: Open House and Book Fair – Come meet the teachers and other parents, and find out what all our students are learning at Cornish.
- Friday Oct. 6, we will hold our first Student of the Month assembly in the gym last period of the day. Parents are welcome to attend.
- Monday Oct. 9 – No School (Columbus Day observed)
Several parents have asked me to send out a reminder about safe parking and pick-up practices at the end of the day (2:55 pm). Those of you who need to park, please do so in the lower lot and walk up; do not park along the fence and leave your car as this will block or delay others trying to leave. If you are driving up to the fence and gate area to pick up your child, please pull up all the way and stay to the right to allow others to pass on your left while you wait for your child to be escorted out.
I wish each of you a safe and happy weekend; warmest regards,
Jennifer Prileson, Principal